1

Yuliani Setiadi
13

Liquid damage, everything works except for SIM card reader & backlight

My new iPhone 3GS fell into a vase of clean tap water. As a first emergency step I tried to dry it with towel and then leave it inside a bag of rice (I read that it can help salvage water damaged mobile phone).

3-4 days later, it is dry and works fine. I can watch video, listen to music, connect to internet, and play game with the responsive touch screen. However the back light no longer works. The screen became dark and almost impossible to read it under the sunlight. Also now, it doesn't read any of the SIM card.

Obviously because it is because of water damage, the guarantee doesn't work. I can't afford the service charge. Please help! Any suggestions are welcome.

I noticed you never got an answer to this. Are you still having this problem?

machead3,

Having exactly the same problems after spilling water on phone - get message saying no sim is in iphone. Have checked sim in another phone and it works perfectly so it is obviously iphone. Also got same problems with backlight. Does anyone know of any repair shops local to Gosport in Hampshire, UK, or online companies they would recommend to fix (hopefully) my beloved Iphone, as I am not technically minded at all. Any advice gratefully received

dixie,

can't personally recommend as i haven't used any but try ebay. search ebay iphone 3g there are a few people advertising this kind of service and you can read their feedback to make a decision. otherwise I'd just google it

pollytintop,

1

mohammed musa
13

hi, luckily for us apple protect most of their internal components with glue. u never said if u had any experience at all repairing mobiles and electronics or electronic basic soldering skills because what we have here are 'shorted' components due to power still going in the phone after the water submerge (as u didnt open and remove the battery before ur rice-dry).

Anyways i have the two solutions on pictures Ive salvaged from the net over time and tested and found them to work 100%. the concept is to follow the traces marked in the attachments using a digital multimeter checking for continuity on each marked trace then jump wires across traces u find open. hope u get around to fix your phone with ease and in time

goodluck

0

Ralph Mausolf
1

Please check the terminal legs of the LCD connector.

In the lower right corner of the first three legs.

If they are not shiny silver, have to solder them.

If this does not help you must make an alternative power supply.

The wires to the SIM Reader IC to be rewired or SIM reader contacts must be replaced.

www.rm-elektronik.net