0

Nicole Ladd
1

I need to replace the charger port

Where can I purchase a charger port for the Kindle Fire? Also, what are the steps after opening the deivce, to be able to switch them out?

Edited by: mayer ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

1

BEN
91

Actually, I would like to add that the charging port is in fact a Micro Type B, however it is not standard, by any means and its doubtful you will find them on digikey or mouser. It is actually one of a kind and a very unique part as is often the case with these replacements. I had been searching a long time to find this part to fix my Fire tablet, since no common Micro USB would work. I finally did find an OEM one at http://www.foxpcparts.com the price was reasonable, considering how difficult it was to locate and the part was new. They also had them in their ebay store, though they cost a little more. As far as replacing the charging port, it requires a heat gun and handheld soldering iron and a little experience. If the port is broken off completely you may just need to remove any broken off pieces and absorb and clean up the solder from the mounting holes. Since these are through-hole pcb mount replacements, the legs will need to go through those holes and then you will have to flow solder into the leg holes and solder the 5 pins to the surface of the board. It helps to have a small clean tip on the iron. Anyways, hope this helps all of you ifixit users.

1

Nicole Ladd, the port is a standard Micro B USB port. It is soldered to the logic board. Follow this guide for the motherboard removal, it will get you to the port. What I would do is to do a search on mouser.com or digikey.com for that part. Both are reputable companies and list dimension for most of their parts. Sometimes it fees like looking for a needle in a haystack and will take time to find the right part.

0

Keri Hunt
1

They are not too difficult and are all over Amazon for less the $10

0

xelz
1

We repair these A LOT! The jack is unbalanced on the Main Board and is easily detached by normal wear and tear. Soldering the jack back on to the board is a little tricky but the real repair is getting the port sturdy to prevent the issue from re-occurring.

xelz, you are soliciting. This is considered Spam!