0

wsscott
23

Can't unscrew screws holding HD in place

I've got the same problem about the screws being Loctited in place. The other suggestions don't seem to be very optimal. I wondered if there's a way to heat the screw so that the Loctite loosens up. Any ideas?

Edited by: wsscott ( )

Thanks accepting my answer...

xgonin,

0

xgonin
893

1. Try to remove the screw with a standard screwdriver. If the screw is older or using the lowest grade blue Loctite, this may be enough to loosen and remove it. Use a screwdriver head that perfectly fits the screw to avoid stripping it.
  2. Place the point of the screwdriver into the screw head, and tap it lightly three to five times with a light-duty hammer. The impact sometimes is enough to loosen the screw enough to break the Loctite bond. Hit the top of the screwdriver perfectly so as not to damage the screw head.
  3. Heat the head of the screw with a soldering station. Be careful to heat only the screw and not the material around it too much as this can damage the surrounding surface. For the red and green Loctite forms, heat is usually the only way to loosen the bond enough to remove the screw. Remove the screw immediately after heating because the cooling will cause the Loctite to solidify again.
  4. Use a drill with a metal drilling bit to drill out the screw in cases where it is impossible to break the Loctite bond in any other way. This is really the last resort for removing Loctite screws and will destroy the screw.

In case you damage the screws :

There is so many different procedures....

Take a look at these links :

Remove a stripped screw

The 12 best ways to remove stripped screws

Or use the Precision Screw Extractor Set. Here's where to get a set:

Precision Screw Extractor Set

If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.

Edited by: xgonin ( )

Precision Screw Extractor Set

Four different sized extractor tools to help remove fasteners or screws with stripped heads. Driver head is claw shaped for maximum grip. Sizes range from 1.1mm to 2.0mm. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

1

wsscott
23

I started out by heating the screw heads with a tiny soldering iron, but no luck. So I got a very small drill and slowly drilled into the head of the screw. First, clockwise until I drilled a bit out of the head to leave a small "crater". Then reversed it, and after several rotations it hooked and unscrewed. I did this on 3 screws. I then used a small magnet to pick up the filings for each screw. I was able to use the screw by using a larger Phillips and just using some pressure got enough of a grip that it screwed back in satisfactorily.