0

mrvisserplein
73

How much corrosion is the norm from living in a tropical climate?

Had a glass of water spill on to my MBP. I took necessary precautions and shut it down, shook water out, propped it up to allow water to drip out. It wasn't a ton. Later I opened it up to inspect and noticed some light corrosion that can't be from a spill that was less than 2 hours before.

I live in a tropical environment and have seen a lot of corroded logic boards here. How much could I expect just from humid climate and salt in the air? Would you brush off a board anytime you found some corrosion or leave a light amount alone? Curious about how those more experienced would handle this.

Edited by: mrvisserplein ( )

2

machead3

Quite a bit - in fact over time it can destroy a board. Cleaning frequently might seem a good idea - BUT - it's also possible to snag and break some components on the board if you are not very careful.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." When possible keep the laptop in a climate controlled (air conditioned) environment, use a laptop cooler or stand, when not in use in a closed container with a desiccant (can be something fairly cheap and DIY like a sealed container with some fresh uncooked rice). Mold can be as destructive as corrosion, so can overheating) In addition see these five tips

If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.''

Thanks. That is great information. I have experience with corrosion cleanup so I am comfortable with it, although more often when the computer is demonstrating stress. Never as prevention. I wish a/c was an option... I'm going to mark this as answered but I was wondering if that closes further discussion?

mrvisserplein,

No, anyone who wants to come and comment still may.

machead3,