0

MrJolly
79

Can I reuse a license key to MS office if I have uninstalled it ?

Can I reuse a license key to MS office if I have uninstalled it from my old computer?

So I just bought office and it comes with 3 legal product keys. I’m using 2 of the keys on computers my family uses. That means I have 1 legal key left. Can I install it on my current computer and later uninstall it and reinstall it on any new computer I get next year? Or will it only let me do this install once?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Sterling Hirsh ( )

4

Luke Soules

I'm not sure which version of Office you're using, but for Office 2004 for Mac, there's no activation process on installation. The software does check to make sure the same key isn't being used at the same time, but if you stop using it and install the software on one machine you should then be able to reinstall it on a different machine with no issues.

1

Anky
121

If you're concerned about legalities, you should know that one legal key can power only one copy of a software. You can install it, and uninstall it unlimited number of times. You can use it in a different PC as long as that key is not powering the other PC any more. The crux is - one key, one PC.

1

andi
61

Has everybody else has said as long as you don't break the one key one computer rule you are fine.

I have done this with both Macs and PCs and have never had a problem.

0

Skippy722

if you register a product key you might run into problems, my advice would be not to register those product keys, then technically you can use them over again should you need to wipe out your computers

0

Spikey2

I found in the past that I had to ring MS Support to activate Office again after say HD crashes, reinstallations etc. The automatic internet activation failed - but after explaining the situation I was issued with the activation code.

If you uninstall it should be no issue whatsoever

0

rab777hp

Yes you can, I've done this, the license will work.

0

John
1

The real problem is how do you deactivate your product key on the mac? Do you completely remove all Microsoft Office related files on your computer? Or do you have to go through a certain uninstaller to deactivate your product key on your computer in order to proceed using?

@John, this question has not been visited for almost 3 years. You might get an answer quicker, if you ask your own question. Right now your question shows as an answer. Use this link to ask your question http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/Ask/MacBoo...