1

hollywood14
13

iPhone 5 cracked glass, but the screen still works

Can the cover glass be replaced on a iPhone 5 because mine is cracked but everything else works just fine. I found one for 12.99 online how do you replace it?

Edited by: oldturkey03, mayer, xgonin, erthw46uhw4t, and machead3 ( ) , Dan ( ) , Richdave ( )

you can go on youtube and find out how. But I prefer for you to give it to iphone repair shops.

Beria,

@hollywood14 - were you able to just replace the glass? Please let me know I have the same issue.

Aus,

6

Richdave
15k

THIS guide seems to indicate the display and front glass are an assembly. That's not to say you could not pull it down further, just that the guide doesn't show how.

This PART appears to be what you need.

UPDATE: I've found this glass only. Perhaps you could make a guide for iFixit if you decide to attempt replacing the glass only.

Edited by: Richdave ( )

iPhone 5 Display Assembly (LCD, Front Panel/Digitizer Only)

Front panel glass/digitizer and LCD screen for iPhone 5. Does not include home button assembly, front camera assembly, earpiece speaker, or the LCD shield plate. — 22 available at 104.95 each.

4

Tom Chai

saw this video on a chinese website

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDc1MjY3Nj...

only a few steps, but requires considerable skill

1: remove everything else

2: remove the upper and lower part of the shattered glass

3: glue a piece of glass onto the shattered glass

4: fix the glass on the heater, heat up

5: use a very thin steel wire to cut the front glass off. It seems that they cut between the front glass and the touch sensor. if the touch sensor is shattered, the screen is totaled.

6: use some solvent to wash the remaining glue off, clean the screen

7: apply new glue. slowly put the new glass onto the glue, watch for any bubbles or dust. let gravity do the work

8: not shown in the video, but according what i've read about those LOCA glue requires curing under UV light

tom chai do you know were to buy the tools from

mina,

China. But these don't look like diy tools, just the cheapest professional kits, without any industrial machines, tools and training cost more than $800. Only worthwhile if you are planning to open a business.

Tom Chai,

+ that is a good video link. Now all we have to do is build our own and post a tool guide on ifixit so that everyone that needs it, gets the engineering drawing, parts list, etc:-)

Very relevant and very instructing answer. Thank you very much Tom Chai. Indeed the video shows complications of separating glass from LCD assembly. you can have LCD+digitizer glass assembly for iphone 4 or 4s for $27 at ebay. iphone 5 LCD and digitizer costs $75 and $134 at iFixit. Bottom line, not worth it. Just buy the complete assembly, and a good one for a cost of around $40. The cheap ones tend to have issues with the flex cable of the digitizer glass. They are awkward and they get stuck at the hole in the iPhone 4 frame. And they seem to easily lose their connection to the glass. So, you lose touchscreen feature of iPhone 4 while the video is fine. I had this problem twice and stopped buying from eBay. Now I buy from a local guy who sells them for $10 more. But I am able to have them tested before I pay. the rest is up to me. and it is worthwhile that way.

Jamal Adam,

1

D W
43

It's all one piece just like iPhone 4(S). If you tear glass and digitizer off the LCD you will ruin it all together. It will bleed to death.

I was told you could on the 4(s) but you cannot. Even if you could remove the glass. who has that much time. If you work on these like I do. You can't tell a customer. Well it will be 3 days to fix because I have to take 2 days to remove the glass from digitizer and LCD screen. If you want to be successful you can't tell them that. You charge your rate over the parts!

Edited by: D W ( )

1

max986
13

I just tried it on my own and I suggest to not do it. It won't work like that. Just order the complete iPhone 5 display assembly and you'll be fine.

1

Jason Rodriguez
1

Yes the glass can be separated from the LCD on the Apple repair - iPhone 5 screen replacement. I am going to prepare a video this week or next because it is much cheaper this method. It does take a lot longer to diffuse the glass from the LCD but it can be done. This is a DIY site so I'm assuming I will convince some of you to try it. I own XpressFix iPhone Repair so there will be a video posted in the blog within 2 weeks.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Jason Rodriguez ( )

Did you post your video somewhere already? I would like to check it out.

1

sergepresnov
13

Not only the problem is to remove the (cracked) glass, which is achievable rather simple with the help of some sort of unglueing treatments (like the GooGone and etc.), but to rebond the new glass lens with the LCD-digitizer assembly (yes, the LCD and digitizer in iPhone 5 are glued together and this assembly is then glued with the display glass lens).

There is a special (industrial) optically clear adhesive used, which also eliminates the air bubbles after treatment. Unfortunately, this glue is unavailable across the USA and Europe. Likely it is only available in China and maybe some other countries, where the manufacturers plants reside.

1

john
301

My experience has shown, that it is best to get the complete assembly. I can't tell you how many digitizer/lcd's I have destroyed trying to get them apart to save a couple of bucks.. Every now and then, I get one to work, but in the long run, the time, effort just isn't worth the results.. Like on the ipod/iphone gen 4's, just get the whole assembly and be done with it..

Yes, this is a hobby/diy site, but I think the guys with the experience shouldn't raise the hopes of those who are trying things on their own for the first time. I have/had been led down the merry road more than once by instructions that say, "separate the lcd and digitizer assemblies with heat" sure, sounds like a 10 second job, turns out to take an hour.. as someone else said, as a business, it ain't worth it.. And personally , for the amount of hassle, doing this sort of repair (glass only) just isn't worth the time and effort.. There comes a point of diminishing returns.. this is one example of that.

1

Phil Hotka

As a non industry guy, but skilled with my hands, I was able to separate the glass from the digitizer successfully using basic tools. And somewhat followed the Chinese video above. I took the screen all down, and due to the severe shattering of my phone I had to remove the bits of glass piece by piece. I did this using a hot plate, temp gun to make sure I didn't overheat it, duck brand adheasive remover I got locally and a guitar string along with a very tiny flat head and the plastic scraper.

Because the screen was so shattered it took me the better part of two hours to get all the glass off. Soaked the whole thing in the adheasive remover and then warmed it up on the hot plate, trying to keep around 160 degrees. Different chunks required different tools, but the majority I got off with the scraper.

Then I repeatedly soaked the LCD in the remover stuff and gently wiped it down. I still scratched it pretty bad thanks to the tiny glass shards, but it looks good at night. Got the LCD totally clean, glued the new glass to the frame only because I didn't have the proper glue and reassembled the whole works.

The result is some tiny scratches and the center of the screen is a bit dark. Either because I did t glue it to the glass or because I might have over heated the screen accidentally. For ten bucks I'm happy with it. I can read things on it and the touch is better then ever! If you're tight on money, but loaded on time and skill I highly recommend it.

0

Gary
289

I am not sure it will ruin it, I see a Digitizer for sell on eBay and the guy says he separated it from the front glass using a heat gun. How can you get someone at ifixit.com to post either a solution for the problem or to give i us a 100% sure answer saying it can't be done. I wish i could ask someone directly.

How about this then, I see they sell Just the front glass on eBay for like $12.00 can I buy a new Digitizer and put the two together myself?

If anyone can contact ifixit , telkl them to jump on this thread and post up some 411 facts about replacing the front glass only if it is possible to do., """""" What up with that""" Pimping ain't easy, and neither is replacing the front glass only on a iphone 5""

There are always those that say they separated the glass. This has been going on with all previous versions as well. I am sure there are one, may be two success stories, but ultimately, just because the parts are available separately does not mean that you can separate them. The best answer would be for you to go ahead and try it and let us know how you did. Personally, I replace the complete unit. Here is the 411 from ifixit "The front glass, digitizer, and LCD are all one component, thereby increasing cost of repair."

0

Chas1
1

Update: we were successful at but the quality was sometimes lacking. Regardless, this was not a one time sucess story as mentioned above. We were able to successfully remove the digitizer from the LCD EVERY time but sometimes the lcd bore slight scratches i the process. To save 200 I believe it is still worth it...JUST sayin'

0

sirxudi
1

I Just tried it today to replace the glass only.

The glass has been successfully scratched piece by piece using a plastic pry.

But I failed to remove the adhesive which used to bond front glass and display panel.

THE RESULT IS:

glass has been replaced for my iphone 5, But there is glue residual under glass which render

display quality rather bad

Sirxudi, the glue is removable with the GooGone or something like that glue remover chemicals just fine. What glue have you used to re-bond new glass?

sergepresnov,

I used multipurpose glue bond the four conner only

sirxudi,

Well, Today I opened the glass again and used Acetone removed adhesive residuals which left last time I replace the glass. to separate the glass is not that hard.... tip: heat the glass, but don't be overheated, otherwise the display won't work. Get some chemical to remove the glue, definitely.

sirxudi,

0

YoloRepair ca
1k

Iwas looking for the thread but couldn't remember the name.

It's best to replace the whole assembly. Just the glass is such a pain. Def not worth the hassle.

0

ifixsmartphone
23

The wire is called molybdenum that is used cut between the glass and digitizer. It is VERY difficult use that wire because of the glass is already hot.

Also it is silicon that lies between glass and digitizer and I have the replacement silicon but it's almost impossible to put that back on the replacement glass clean. It has to done at zero dust industrial level, not recommenced for DIY at all.

Just wait for the whole front assembly price to come down.

Edited by: ifixsmartphone ( )

0

Stoian
1

Just fix my first glass on iphone 5.

Result is acceptable for the customer.

Used silicone glue at the corners. Not the perfect result,but 1/3 less than the original.

Good luck changing

what is the best temperature to remove the glass from the glue?

Khondamir Bekbaev,

Hey Stoian, can you please tell us what method did you use to separate the glass?

Khondamir Bekbaev,

100 gradus celsium +/- 5 on chinese websites, but i have used a hairdryer and a sharp medical knife. Slowly and patient one by one i removed all the glass parts. Phone were always on and display working. I have tried to avoid huge black spots when lcd is flexing. 3 hours job. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...

Stoian,

Hey guys thank you for your replies. Stoian what did you use to glue the lcd to the glass?

Khondamir Bekbaev,

an ultraviolet LOCA adhesive ordered from chinese website. alibaba.com

Stoian,

0

joerg
1

iPhone 5 front Glass Replacement Only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbZwypAIN...

Look there i Hope this will help you

0

Yareck
43

What solvent can I use to remove LOCA residue from the LCD? If anyone has an answer can you give me an exact brand name of that product please?

Its really hard to remove it without scratching LCD

Yes i was able to separate the glass from the digitizer and it works like new.

Peter i understand your position on that subject.You are a LCD dealer you dont want to hear about succesfull attempts of fixing something you make money on. Just watch the video from the link above.Its doable. Whats not to believe?

Edited by: Yareck ( )

100C degree is too hot. You will most likely burn LCD ending up discolored LCD. Hair dryer will work but you will have to heat for long time. Removing the glass is not a problem, it is the optical adhesive removal is the challenge. You can either use acetone or alcohol to remove it. There is industrial acetone you can use to remove the residue but I recommend you not use it as it has serious chemical and could cause injury. You must wear glove and mask handling that stuff, very dangerous. I don't even know if that is allowed at local level. I change glass for my customer over 20 time using only acetone and alcohol and most of them are very acceptable and they were all happy.

ifixsmartphone,

I used acetone but it takes forever adn some loca always stays on lcd. I used paint thinner alcohol and orange glow.They dont work.I will deffnetley try industrial acetone THank you for your answer

Yareck,

0

ifixsmartphone
23

I replace two or three broken glasses of iPhone 5 daily. I know it is ugly and tough to do it, but is manageable. Removing glass is not hard, it is removing glue!

I know I don't have to do this when the part price comes down as low as iPhone 4, 4S. Until then I will just have to remove the glass due to popular demand.

0

stellingaj
1

iPhone 5 replacement

My girlfriend shattered her iphone screen and I looked into replacing it. It is an iphone 5, and I read all the reviews about how the lcd, digitizer and glass being one composite. I bought a iPhone 5 glass screen from amazon, and replaced it, and it works fine. You have to know what you are getting into, but I slowly removed the glass from the LCD screen, then cleaned it with Goo Gone to get the original adhesive off, and put the new glass cover on, and it works OK. It would probably be better with the UV glue or optical adhesive you can get on the internet, as you have to push the glass screen a bit to make sure it makes contact with the LCD, but it works none the less. As a $10, 2 hour solution to a $200 problem, I recommend it for the DIY challenged people.

0

2dealsok
1

What glue did you use? BTW does anyone know where to get a similar part for the ipad? (http://www.ownta.com/images/detailed/ipa...) Thanks!:) (ipad glass lens)

Gan Samuel,

0

JOE
1

0

UnionRepair
61

Edited by: UnionRepair ( )

0

Khondamir Bekbaev
1

it is possible to fix just the cracked screen, however it is not perfect, you always end up with scratches left after the glass was shattered, but it is better than cracked glass for sure. i fixed like 5 of them. you can also send your phone to us, check out my ebay page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121104653700?ssP...

0

Jason Rodriguez
1

We separate the glass using a proprietary machine, loca, and some special tlc. http://www.xpressfix.com

0

PhoneFix Pro
79

The uv glue is being sold on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

0

GoVraemd
11

A few of you mentioned only glueing the corners of te glass. Does that affect the touch sensibility? Because that is the only tging I'm worried about.

0

jimongo
1

Yes you can but it is not an easy process. I will take almost 2 hours for the process. The glass removal is the hardest part. There are videos on www.how2fixvideo.com for post phones

0

cashrenner
1

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7P2kGdf0...

Molybdenum wire 0.14mm in Ebay UK (271228988018)

0

allison
1

you need change new lcd&digitizer .iPhone 5 cracked glass may be accepted by external over shock.

0

den
1

id like to hear peoples recommendations on the best adhesive to use to attach the new glass to the lcd? thanks

0

allison
1

adhesive glue for iPhone outer glass lens/lcd repair/digitizer touch screen repair is very good . I'd like to introduce you extra lcd&touch screen separator.Is that useful for you to remove the glass.

0

Aaron Epperson
1

where did you find screens for 12.99 ????

0

tony time
1

you can replace it yourself but if are not good with tools, I will suggest you send it to someone that knows how, after old you don't want to mess your phone over a simple glass repair.

This Month: 4,539