0

Bob
1

Can I upgrade my 500GB to 1TB and where are they sold.

I want to upgrade to a 1TB hard drive. I can not seem to find any for sale on this site or others. Do I have to go to Apple to do this.

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( )

1

Parappaman
55

Here's the guide with the related hard drives on sale:

iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2389 Hard Drive Replacement

And here's specifically the 1TB version.

1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive

Due to the relatively small price premium, I'd recommend opting for the 2TB or even the 3TB drives if you can afford them.

You're welcome. :)

1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive

SATA 6.0 Gb/s interface for iMac G5s and Intel iMacs / 3.5" wide x 1" tall / 1 TB Unformatted. — 6 available at 99.95 each.

Parappaman...Thanks. A stupid question...if I buy and install one of these drives how do I get mountain lion onto it. My original hard drive already came with it on and there was no installation disc provided... Thank you so much.

Bob,

It's not a stupid question, but for that, there are plenty useful guides around the web. You basically need a USB drive (or dual-layer DVD) and the OSX Installer app.

Parappaman,

0

Tbt
1

@ Parappaman

In the links you supplied it sepcifically states that those particicular HDDs are compatible with all intel imacs excluding all 21.5 inch and 27 inch intels. Which is what the asker is referring to.

I only ask because I want to achieve the same thing as the asker. I am hesitant to purchase things that specifically described as not compatible.

There are also no HDDs listed on the parts list for the emc 2389 model.

Does this have anything to do with the heat sensor issue?

thanks

The temperature sensor cable is a non-issue, all you have to do is buy a hard drive of the same brand you have already installed in your iMac. The real trouble is for us poor people owning the 2011 iMacs, with modified hard drive firmware that prevents the fans from spinning at top speed until one sticks to the hard drive Apple installs in your machine...

Parappaman,

So your saying you bought a different brand -western digital- from the original brand -seagate- im guessing.. From your scenario i gather Their temp sensors are the same. Am I correct? Where specifically did you buy the WD 2TB from? thanks

Tbt,

0

leonzhong708
1

you dont have to buy from ifixit, you can buy rather seagate or wd from any place else would save you 30 bucks or more, they are the same, forexample i replace one with wd 2tb green just for 109 plus free shipping from newegg, why buy from ifxit, they are cost more, only dumb people buy from it, thank me for save ur money.

0

Tbt
1

@leonzhong708

Sorry i didnt see the newegg reference.

I was looking at them and the temp sensors are not the same..

Can u please elaborate

thanks

0

Rogier Willems
1

I am still confused about how to deal with the drive with the build in temp sensor.

Is it available on the market and where?

Rather not do the work around by installing a fan controller...

Is there a compatible temp sensor available that can be stuck on externally like the other iMac's ?

You shouldn't need to run fan controlling software if your system is older than the '11 models. While there are issues with the cabling harness as well as glued on sensors in these earlier models they are easy to work around. The '11 and newer models gets into how Apple redefined the connector header. Apple did make a proposal at the JEDEC as far as I know its still not been ratified as such most of the HD vendors have not incorporated the alterations in non-OEM units. So what to do?? As it turns out OWC has a special board you can splice into the cable harness to offer an external sensor so any non-OEM HD can be used in the newer '11 models (I haven't tested it but I suspect this will also work in the '12 or '13 models as well). I strongly recommend this approach Vs the software method.

Dan,

This is an 2011 iMac. Do you happen to have the link to the temp sensor board at OWC or its SKU? The only thing I can find is an entire cable boom that requires to lift the MLB.... Rather solder a temp sensor on the other end.

Rogier Willems,

Update: I just installed in a 2011 27" iMac build 13BV42: Western Digital (Black Label) WD1003FZEX 1TB SATA3 64MB Cache Connected the temp sensor cable, loaded OSX 10.9 Mavericks and had no fan problems :-) Rogier

Rogier Willems,