1

John Krumm
13

Is there a place to find apps that work?

Ok, I know this isn't a "fix-it" type question, but I think it fits in with the general philosophy. I unlocked my wife's old iPhone 3G, thinking that I'll give it more life and finally join the smartphone world, only to find that almost all the apps in Apple's app store have been upgraded to ios 4.3 or 5. Still, I'm sure there are apps that will add value to this phone, yet there is no way to search for them by supported OS version in the store. Is there any kind of Wiki or other database that keeps track of currently workable apps for older iPhones available at the app store?

Edited by: John Krumm ( )

Thanks guys. I actually have ios 4.21 on the 3g so even fewer apps are compatible, though I did find a useful tide-table app that works. But you are right the phone itself works well, texts easily, and actually allows me to check my messages without cussing. Plus no contract. Thanks for your answers.

John Krumm,

1

smashmouthfan34
85

Typically, when the ios upgrades the developers of the apps are forced to upgrade their app software to be compatible with the newest version.

So you won't find any apps in the app store that are compatible with ios 4.3

You can check what software the app needs in the app store under the picture of the app and the price

It will say category and under that will be a title that says requirements.

That will tell you if any apps are compatible with your iphone. Most likely you will not find any.

It doesn't mean you don't have a good iphone though. It's still a great mp3 player and camera as well as a decent internet surfing device. If you're fine without the apps you can still enjoy it.

1

California
13

I think its really bullshit that most iphone 3gs users are left out in the dark when they update the os software, that developers have no consideration for the rest of us. We built this iphone empire with all the iphones purchased since the first model. Apple should build a update for the iphone 3gs because most people can not afford to go out and buy a new iphone every time they come out. Jailbreaking iphones void the warranty, its like apple wants this on purpose. What is up with this? Apple being a valued company should care even about its customers that have bought apps,iphones ,ipods , computers , labtops , ipads , even if not a substantial amount every customer should have value when you leave customers behind they stray away and buy other products. From a valued Apple customer, Cali

1

chasjunk
13

California:

The iPhone 3GS, in point of fact, runs the latest available version of iOS (6.1.3) and nearly every app in the App Store apart from ones that the *developer* has chose not to make compatible with the hardware because it needs more RAM, processor or graphics power than the 3GS provides.

1

CasieMcDW
13

I have an iPhone 3G and had to restore factory settings as it wasn't working properly. I now can't use most of the apps that I was using quite happily before the restore. You say that iOS 6 can be installed on 3G phones but my phone won't install anything beyond 4.2.1 so how do I install a later version so that I can use the apps that I paid good money for?

1

mackerm
13

Here is a free tool that will let you search the iTunes store for apps which are compatible with the iPhone 3G running iOS 4.2.1

https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/

0

David
31

You can jailbreak as well, edit the coding to match a 6.0 firmware although be careful coding is a big deal, if you don't know what you're doing of course.

0

Larry Entwistle
1

I agree..... Apple should make developers retain compatibility with 4.2.1 - if it was dveloped and distributed for 4.2.1 then it should stay that way... !!

Thank you muchly Mackerm..... this utility is most handy and your contribution is very much appreciated

Edited by: Larry Entwistle ( )

Larry Entwistle, could you do me a favor? I am trying to research thios a bit but do not have any access to older apps. Could you follow these instructions: 1. locate an app in your filesystem, usually an itunes folder with all your apps. 2. rename the IPA to ZIP 3. open the zip folder, locate info.plist 4. open info.plist using a text editor, and post that text as a comment on here or email it to me? My email address is in my profile. It would really help to may be resolve some of this. Thank you