0

zeaenarion
1

Can't unscrew the last two screws

Hi !

I tried to open my MacBook Pro 2012 (RAM change and replacement of the HDD by a SSD) using the iFixit Tools (Philipps #0), but I've got 2 screws that I can't unscrew (sorry for my english, I'm french). I tried slowly, but the screw didn't turn. After 3 or 4 tries, the "cross shape" is damaged, so I don't know how to get rid of those two screws... Anyone has a solution ?

Here is a picture of the screw (the other look the same) :

http://data.imagup.com/10/1165914317.JPG

1

Andrew Optimus Goldberg

Hi zeaenarion, when screws lose their shape like that we call them stripped.

The proper driver for those screws should be Phillips #00, not #0, so trying that might help. Otherwise, take a look at this list of the 12 best ways to remove stripped screws, to see if anything there can help.

If none of those work, iFixit also has a Precision Screw Extraction Kit that should be able to get those out for you.

Precision Screw Extractor Set

Four different sized extractor tools to help remove fasteners or screws with stripped heads. Driver head is claw shaped for maximum grip. Sizes range from 1.1mm to 2.0mm. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

0

jmontalvo
1

ive bought the extractor set, and tried some of your suggestions.. None of it works. I am not stuck with a mac mini i cannot upgrade or even remove the second hard drive that will not work with your upgrade kit for whatever reason because of one stripped screw.

0

tsprings1017
1

You could always take it to a machine shop and have it drilled out and a heli-coil inserted. It shouldn't cost more than $100. If you know a good mechanic, they may also be able to do this for you.

0

Jeremy Deats
1

Hi.... Same two screws on a mid-2013 model Mac Book Pro. Apple changed their automation process so that these screws are put in by machines (they started this at some point in 2012 it seems). So it's next to impossible. Apple stores have special power tools to get them out, it's almost impossible with hand tools without stripping them... The answer is to invest in a costly power tool for this one time job or simply pay Apple.

All the positive press you see about the Mac Book Pro's being easy to matinee is false. It applies at best to some models that didn't get super tension screwer (maybe the robot that built ours was just having a bad day... I don't know, don't care hope Apple's entire QA team burns in !@#$ over this... That's harsh but when you pay top dollar for what's advertised as the Lexus of computer you expect more than just some Chinese built POS that can't even be opened). Sorry there is the hard truth.