0

Luca
1

Replace original SSD with OEM SSD or traditional HD

Do you think it is possible to replace the original SSD of the 13" Retina with an OEM one (cheaper, bigger) or at last with a traditional drive?

I like the Retina and I think it fits my needs except for the SSD size.

Thank you!

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , Dan ( )

Hi, you could replace it, but if you replace it with a HDD then u will lose the performance advantage against the SSD.

John Savio,

1

Dan

Yes its' possible to install a larger SSD check this out as one possibility: OWC

As to putting in a HD instead, No, the system is currently not designed to support it.

I think why they made the space is for future Helium filled HD's that are coming out mid year next year which are still smaller (5mm), run on less power and much cooler than what we have today (1 & 2GB). Heres some info on them Engadget and on the super small drives WD 5mm HD's

Edited by: Dan ( )

I should also point out I think the 15" MBPr will be reconfigured in the spring with the same type of layout so it too can support one of these new HD's (and hopefully address some of its' repairability issues as well).

Dan,