0

empresstoya21
1

not taking charge dim gren light comes on when plug up

i have a mac book mid 2010 i luv very much. due to the fact i have it plugged most time. the mac book stop taking charge, dim green light. i have no apply store where i live, am ok in the tech depart but can stil looking to learn. what must i do to get my mac book up and running. my battery for the mac is dead. to remove the battery i have to get a screwdriver i don't have whenever i plug it up for charge the same dim green light comes on. pl help me fix this problem.

Now a friend took it home and try two chargers and he get the same dim green light, however my system original comes with the 65w but am using the 85w charger. I have the 2011 model macbook, while he had a older version and mac pro. macbook , while my system was on i used coconut and it showed when the power is connected, the life and cycle of battery, and it would stop the charging.

empresstoya21,

Empresstoya - If you have reset the SMC (see the TN link below) and that didn't resolve the problem and using a second charger still had the problem then it's clear the issue is inside your system. - As Owen expressed it is either the charger or the DC in board is bad. And it now looks like the DC in board is the issue. Its good Coconut shows the battery and the fact it is charging. But, that still doesn't isolate out the root cause of your problem. - I suspect you have some water damage on the DC in board or the main logic board which is leaking power across one of the power transistors by the corrosion pathway. You will need to open your system to clean it. Again, I think this is not the best job to start with if you've never worked on a Mac before.

Dan,

lets say my dc-in board is bad, when the battery had charge the machine would come on, while plugged up it will stop charging the battery and use the ac power. Can i turn my mac on from the jumpers on the main board cause without battery power the switch don't work... can this work....am also making time to get it to a mac Doc soon.

empresstoya21,

Empresstoya - There are switching transistors that do this, you can't by pass them with any jumper trick, sorry. It's time to bite the bullet here, theres nothing more we can offer you here.

Dan,

2

Dan

First start by resetting the SMC, heres the Apple TN on it SMC Reset. See if that solves your battery issue. If not your battery may need to be replaced and you will need to get your system to an Apple Store or get the needed tools and parts to service the system up your self.

Warning! your good intentions doing this your self with little experience could damage your system beyond repair. I would not make this my first repair job.

Before having this problem, my machine was plugged in over a two week period, when the system was up i used coconut software; i find all the battery settings to be good. Am even able to see the charger plug in to the dc..battery stop while dc in connected. am thinking of taking out the batter with the tools and reinserting it in again to see if this help.

empresstoya21,

First try resetting the SMC. Unplugging and replugging in the battery in its self won't alter anything here.

Dan,

ok then can someone please tell me how to get my battery charging again so my machine can come on.....i try the smc again and again and nothing happen.....

empresstoya21,

Tank u mr. cunneely however i dont want to think its the dc board, give me another solution please am also having problems getting the proper screwdriver to remove the battery to only reinsert it again to see if that helps. i had no problem with my system before, after having i plugged in for sometime this \dim green light comes up...For the love of apple someone please help me with this problem....

empresstoya21,

Emprestoya - Theres limits on what we can offer here. We do feel your pain... But, you have to make the call on what you can do for your self and what is beyond what you can do to fix your system. If you don't have the tools there is little we can do for you remotely in diagnosing the problem or guiding you to the needed replacement part/s. It sounds like its' time to bring your system to a Apple authorized repair center or an Apple Store. I wish you well.

Dan,

1

Owen Cunneely

You have a very common problem. The problem is either

a.) You have a defective charger, I have see this many times before. If this is the case, you will most certainly need a new charger. To see if you do, try and borrow a friend's or neighbor's charger. If another charger works then you will need to look into getting a new one.

or

b.) Your dc-in board on you computer is defective. This part requires a removal of the bottom cover and logic board. The part can be found here:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Model A1278) MagSafe DC-In Board

and the guide here:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Late 2011 MagSafe DC-In Board Replacement

This isn't the easiest repair, but, if you take your time and pay attention then everything will go smoothly. Only proceeded with "b" once you know it is not your charger.

Hope this helps

Connects wall adapter power to logic board. Compatible with all Mid 2009 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Mid 2010 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Early 2011 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Late 2011 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, and all Mid 2012 13" Unibody MacBook — 50+ available at 39.95 each.

I also agree with Dan, you may want to bring this to a more experienced person if you need the dc-in board replaced.

Owen Cunneely,

0

rosewinslet45
1

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/inde...

http://mac.bigresource.com/MacBook-Charg...

Note: Before going for any step, it is recommended by Mac experts that you must take clone of your drive using software like Stellar Drive Clone.

0

Dave
1

Hi, I've had this same problem. Did you find a solution? Ive replaced the battery, replaced the DC-in Board also and still no luck! Does anyone have any suggestions on what else could be causing the problem? The laptop works fine when it's got battery (it just takes a while to charge) But if the battery is left to completely empty...the mac wont turn back on!! Help please!!

Sounds like you need to reset the SMC, did you do that?

Dan,