0

Katherine
1

Charging port possibly bent or broken, how can it be fixed? Where?

My son was using my amazon kindle fire it was plugged in to wall outlet charger, the kindle fell behind the couch and now it the charging port feels loose and will not charge. Can it be fixed?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Katherine ( )

1

Katherine, disassemble your Kindle. Follow this guide. You should check the solder connection on the micro USB port. It is very likely that they have either come totally of the board, or that they have micro cracks. It might be possible to reuse the old connector and resolder it, or you may have to find a new connector. If you need a new one, you could check mouser.com or digikey.com for a micro USB that fits the dimensions of your Kindle. Hope this helps, good luck.

1

Abu Zubair
13

Of chargers and Kindles:

I have been repairing Kindle USB ports for a few weeks and have some suggestions about the chargers being used:

Kindle Battery:

Most of the inside of your Kindle is a huge battery. It requires a ‘hefty’ charger to charge it and keep it healthy.

Chargers:

While the Kindle Fire calls out for a 1.8 amp charger, I would recommend a 2.0 amp charger for the Kindle. iPad 2 chargers, 2.0 or 2.1 amp rating, with USB ports can be used with appropriate USB micro charging cables to work really well.

Many chargers are over rated and many have cheap thin wire that cannot deliver enough amperage to the kindle port and it will not "shift" into charge mode.

A Kindle will pull about 700mA from a charger, and the charger rating printing is mostly marketing and most of them do not deliver that wattage on a constant sustained level.

Charger/USB charger cable thickness:

If using USB to USB micro data cable make sure it is a thick wire cable that can push out the current from charger to kindle. Thin charger cables are conduits of squished electron flow and will not “shift into gear” the Kindle into charging mode.

Helpful hint:

If charger is not working, power down kindle and try:

Unplug charger.

Power off kindle

Plug in charger

Kindle should wake up in "charge mode"

Having fixed many Kindles lately, I am seeing charger issues, and plugging and replugging the USB cable in cause 50% of broken USB port problems.

Hope these hints will help.

A. Zubair, EE

I have some good videos on youtube for this repair, a delicate and tough soldering job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCZpZVaw...

Edited by: Abu Zubair ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

0

security depot
1

just repaired one it was a toughie here's what was done:

1. Followed the guide to opening the case

2. Removed the screws on the board and flipped it up to get underneath

3. found that the port was "perfectly broken"

"Perfectly" in that the USB port was off and the 5 pins was still intact.

now here was the issue, trying to solder all those pins on the board which couldn't touch and on top of that are extremely fine

but here's how i solved it i simply melted solder on the board, and swiped the solder iron on each point where the pins were to touch.

i placed the micro USB port on the board, placed my soldering iron on each tip long enough for the solder underneath to melt and amazingly it worked.

Pointers

1.Don't think that by soldering all the pins together it will work, it wont.

2.This is an arduous process if your not too skilled

3.Magnifiers go well with this

oh on pointer 1. when i say solder together i mean allowing the solder to "melt" on all of the pins

0

tony
1

WOW. I called amazon and they were of no use. their only suggestion was a small discount on a new one.

I tried your approach to power down above and in 10 seconds it was working. amazing that amazon support does not have this in their knowledge base

0

Marcy
1

Do you also need to so,der the two points that go through the board to the other side?

0

Laura Castillo
1

I need help to fix my ipad mini charger it wont charge can I fix it?

0

Silver Wolf
1

''Could you maybe make this more clear?"

*(Please include bullet points and how to's)*

*(Please leave a picture to show your example)*

*(Please leave it on this page or i'll never find it again)*

*(Please make it very simple and clear)*

******Thanks to whoever is working to do this

i really miss my kindle********

0

Abu Zubair
13

Yes.

Below is the link for repair of the Kindle Fire USB port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

Hope that helps.

0

jed
1

you can stand the kindle up by its charger and it may charge. you will probably need a blackberry or phone charger that is short and thick. if this doesn't work go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNo1-2NO... to take it apart go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPuTaeSyI...

0

Abu Zubair
13

KINDLE FIRE 7" FIRST GEN. ONLY ****

Would highly advise to have the port professionally repaired!

Having sent home over 500+ (yes that's right 500 plus) Kindles with USB charging problems, I have found many customers who have wiggled the port so hard that pin 5 (+5V) if you count from the back of the USB port

(looking from the back of the port with the motherboard off)

5 4 3 2 1

+5V Data Data NC/internal data available used line Ground

shorts out with pin 4. This caused in several Kindles permanent damage to the charging circuitry.

Even after I reinstalled a brand new port (I would say in about 10 Kindles) plugging in the charger then shuts down the Kindle and it will continue to charge, but it shuts down drawing .6 amps (on inline ampmeter) and once pulled from charger, pushing the on/off button brings it back to life, working well (in most cases.)

So, the bottom line, is DO NO TRY WIGGLING, PUSHING, TWISTING THE CHARGER INTO THE PORT, you run the change of shorting those pins.

DESIGN FLAW: This port has only two prongs going into the mother board pcb, and two surface mount.

SOLUTION: RESOLDER OR REPLACE AND RESOLDER, THEN I APPLY AN AERO-SPACE BONDING ADHESIVE TO THE SURFACE MOUNT PADS, CURING UNDER HOT-AIR.

DO NOT GOB SUPER-GLUE ON THOSE PRONGS. SADLY I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL DIY ATTEMPTS THAT SHORTED ALL PINS AND DESTROYED THE MB.

SUPER-GLUE IS NOT AN IMMEDIATE SOLUTION TO THE USB ACHILLES HEEL PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUE USERS TODAY.

Any questions, kindly email me azubair123@gmail.com

eBay: zranch123

My videos on youtube

This Month: 2,644