0

Teena
13

Can I change hard drives from one playstation to another

I have a playstation 3 that will not read the disks, so I have purchased another ps3 just like the one I have. Can i take the hard drive out of the first one and put it in the second one so I don't lose all my game data

2

Shane
185

Upgrade to the newest firmware on both PS3s and there will be a new utility in the settings that will allow you to copy all of your files from one PS3 to the other using an ethernet cable (you can even transfer copy protected files and game saves that don't normally allow copying).

You cannot just remove a hard drive from one PS3 and put it in another and expect all information to transfer over. You will have to format the drive.

Edited by: Shane ( )

Since the systems are hardware identicle, there should be no problem swaping a hard drive from one PS3 to another, if it were to be used in a PC, or other device it would need to be formatted, but it should be able to be swaped without a problem, just like Xbox 360 Drives.

Chris Green,

1

joey moe
13

If you have the new firmware update 3,56 it isnt possibel to swap / upgrade harddrive in a ps3.. I hope Sony soon will com with a new update to fix this bug - so my PS3 can come up and running again.

I am not aware of the bug in the 3.56 firmware update.

Lukas,

0

Chris Green

Yes, depending on whether you have a slim, or not, the procedure is different, but you should have no problem with compatibility. I don't have a PS3, so I'm not sure how you remove the slim's hard drive, but I have worked on "Fat" PS3's and the hard drive is on the side, just pop off the cover, and remove one screw, then the drive.

0

Sam
37

As Shane said, it's physically possible to take the drive out of one PS3 and into another but it won't preserve all your data. Use the transfer utility, it works quite well and if you've only got a few things then it won't take too long.

Another way, depending on what you want to save, is to backup your saved games etc to a USB hard drive and then copy them to the new PS3. You can't copy everything, but by-and-large you can copy everything you can't replace by downloading again.

0

Lukas
388

You could back up your data though the backup utility in the PS3 system's menu. Get a USb flash drive, or if needed a USB external USB drive to back up your system settings, game data and game saves.

As for any downloadable content, any games or media purchase from the Play Station Store can be re downloaded with out an additional charge.

0

vargas mike
1

playstation 3 can one hard drive of 80g can be switch to a 40g